Thursday, June 24, 2010

A Word About Reading.

I love to, and to me summer is all about books (and movies). I'm always looking for a great read, and I'll be honest it's usually juvenile/young adult fiction. I say I love the adventurous spirit, and naivete of the young characters you usually find in these books. My brother says I'm lazy. The eldest child in our clan is definitely the scholarly one. He loves a challenge,and has chosen to get his doctorate in something literary where he can study books instead of just read them. He recommends books to me and I usually scoff at him (and vice versa). This summer however he's running an online reading group for Ulysses by James Joyce. A classic I've never even tried to attempt and one of his favorites. However my whole family is going to partake, and I'm going to give it my best shot. If you were looking to exercise your brain this summer, join us!

Here: http://infinitezombies.wordpress.com/2010/06/16/ulysses/

I will however intersperse this reading feat with some fluffy more my speed reads. This same brother has a sister in law who is a librarian, specializing in juveniles (which I am at heart). She turned me on to this fantastic website where you can track the books you've read/are reading/want to read and write reviews. As well as friend fellow readers you know and see what they've been perusing. I recommend everyone join, as I know most books I read and forget about only to accidentally pick them up again. Plus I don't know about you, but I'm always looking for something new to stick my nose in.

You can join the Good Reads community, Here http://www.goodreads.com/

1 comment:

  1. Oh, good luck and best wishes on that one. A very stressful read, I don't remember having too much fun in class on Ulysses. Even Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man was arduous for me, and that's light compared to Ulysses. I vastly prefer my high school reading of Dubliners, if I must remember Joyce fondly. (:

    Hell, I'd take Hegel and his German Idealism over another dose of Ulysses. More power to you!

    ReplyDelete