Friday, February 19, 2010

Establishing Life

I love my new job. I know 2 days in is probably too soon to say that. Perhaps I should have prefaced it with, I thought I'd have to settle. I had an idea of the kind of job I wanted before I moved and I talked about at length with the people in my life. I wanted to work at a restaurant with a strong emphasis on wine, someplace I could really learn something, or in a tasting room at a vineyard. Somewhere I could put my knowledge to use to educate others, and hopefully learn something in return. So I went to my school and met with the career placement person. She gave me a few wine bars to get in touch with, I sent e-mails, and one replied. They were sorry but they didn't have a position available, and they wished me luck. Bummer. Then the next day, another e-mail, someone had resigned, did I want to interview? YES. I agonized over the outfit- http://www.theclosetconnection.blogspot.com/ and in I went. The place was so cool. All the wine kept in nitrogen displacement cases to keep it as fresh as possible. They served everything in flights so you could compare, in my opinion, the best way to learn. Plush benches covered in pillows, and tables surrounded by ottomans. The interview was short and sweet, I'd hear from her by the end of the week. The following Monday rolls around, and I had accepted that I hadn't gotten the job, but was prepared to call and confirm it. Then my phone rings, I'M HIRED! Now during this whole process I had been sending my resume to anywhere that had anything to do with wine in the region. I schedule my training, and am raring to go. My phone rings, and it is the tasting room manager at a vineyard, can I come in for interview the following day? YES. So I get up the next day pack my work clothes, put on my interview outfit (see above link) and head to the vineyard. It's in Los Gatos, a ritzy neighbor in south bay. There's a Bentley dealership next to the library. The vineyard used to be a monastery and it's gorgeous. I go in and talk to the manager for 45 minutes. We just click, she's a PCI grad (they're everywhere.) she thinks I'd be a perfect fit, but she wants to watch me taste. So she walks me through the catalog (a little bit about my favorites below) I talk about what I taste, and I feel totally in the zone. She wants to hire me, BUT I have to be interviewed by the big boss next week. Keep your fingers crossed. So I drive to work and spend the rest of the night training, and having a blast. The employees are knowledgeable and excited about the product they're selling, also just genuinely nice, welcoming people. It's the customers who make it though. Neighborhood people with a real appreciation of wine. They want to taste and discuss. They love where they live, and are excited for you to be joining the community. It's like a little family, and I adore them. Plus with a jazz band twice a week, I truly feel at home.




2006 Testarossa Diana's Reserve Chardonnay

Green apple and citrus on the nose. Round and creamy mouthfeel. Honey, and clove on the tongue, with a delightful spicy finish.

2007 Testarossa La Cruz Pinot Noir

Light smoke on the nose. Medium bodied. White pepper and blackberries on the tongue. Tannic on the finish. Delicious now, but will be even better in a few years when it's had time to round out, and allow the fruit to come forward.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad your interviewin and jobness have been going so well... but change the white writing on a black background thing... you're making my head hurt!!!

    Love youu

    ReplyDelete