Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Putting my Degree to Use

So contrary to popular belief, I do know how to cook. I went to Culinary school, graduated with in the high esteem of my professors, and even worked in a restaurant. That being said when I tell people what I went to school for, they inevitably reply, 'Do you cook all the time?' I relish the looks on their faces when I respond, ''No.' I have been frequently known to refer to myself as the culinary artist who doesn't cook. Now let me explain, I grew up in food. My father cooked dinner just about every night of my life, and at 6:30 p.m. like clockwork we would sit at the table and eat as family. On the nights he didn't cook, as well as vacations, were spent in search of culinary delights. I love food, it is in my blood, in my family. I however never needed to cook. My father always did, with a smile on his face. Once I had gone to culinary school, and was occasionally called upon to, I was frankly intimidated. My dad is a fantastic cook, and we've all grown accustom his cooking, and have our favorite dishes. Plus I'm lazy. That isn't to say that my father is some sort of Gordon Ramsey teacher, I feared harsh criticism from. All he does is praise, he is my biggest supporter and I love him for it.

Then I up and decided to move to the other side of the nation. Far away from the comfort of my dad's cooking, and with no money to eat out. So have I withered away to nothing? No because as stated above I can cook, and am actually pretty good at it. So on Sunday I got up and drove to the Campbell Farmer's Market which is HUGE. I bought produce, sausage, bacon, and bread. Then I went to whole foods and bought chicken, eggs, milk, cheese, ground beef, pasta, and rice. I went home and took the ground beef, measured it into individual serving patties, put it in freezer bags and froze it. Same goes for the chicken. I've made penne with meat sauce, a bacon and cheese patty melt, and this morning I had a turkey and cheddar omelet. Rest assured, I will not starve.

3 comments:

  1. Just as I often kick myself for giving up lighting design, I also sometimes kick myself for not going to culinary arts school. I absolutely love cooking. I'm told I'm good at it, but like every humble artist I insist I'm terrible and tug at Ben's arm every night pleading, "How was dinner?" with a cringe on my face. Also, who can trust boyfriends, really? (:

    Anyway, one of my favorite things to do is to go shopping at produce markets and places like Whole Foods (or in my case, the Fruit Center, which is my town's really cool version of Whole Foods) and think up awesome things to do with fresh food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a wonderful cook. Your father is a tough act to follow. I'm happy you are motivated to cook for yourself. I am only motivated to call for take-out or to go out to eat. Luckily you take after the right parent when it comes to culinary skills!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So why have I not gotten some of this fantastic Laura breakfast? I may have to force my life partner, Tierney, to take a trip to you to make us food. The market sounds fantastic, I wish they had them by me on LI because I just love fresh foods! I'm glad you're using your skills!

    ReplyDelete