Monday, April 5, 2010

On My Way to Sommelier


So school has finally begun.
It is so much more then I expected. First of all I went into with kind of a competitive attitude. Sommeliers are an elite bunch, and I imagined it being kill or be killed. It is exactly the opposite. I am the youngest in the class by about 6 years, the oldest among us being in the sixties. Retired tech people expanding a hobby, professional wait staff looking to beef up their resume. Then there is me. The baby of the group who wants to become a Master Sommelier. A statement with astonishment. You're how old, and your goal is to shoot straight to the top? I feel like I had a good knowledge base going in, but there is so much to learn. And what an environment to learn from day 1 they encourage us to work as team. To taste and discuss together, to lean on one another for support. The very first thing out of our instructors mouth was that we would not survive without each other for help. So immediately we began forming connections and bonds. Out instructors are Masters themselves, and some of the most passionate, fun, down to earth people I've met to date. They have so much knowledge, and they want nothing more to impart it on us. We've been tasting, talking, learning, laughing, and having a blast. If I had needed more assurance that I was on the right path, I've found it in new this little family of which I'm now a member. Now here's hoping I survive our Vineyard trip tomorrow, and aren't consumed by illogical fear of horses in the extensive stables.

1 comment:

  1. Honestly, your school looks like the coolest school ever. You make me want to give up being a software engineer and go into the wine business. Seriously - you drink wine in class and take field trips to vineyards. I hope you know how lucky you are!

    (I mean, I'm sure it's an awful lot of work, too, but I'm content to just romanticize it.)

    ReplyDelete