Friday, April 30, 2010

Where to Begin?

So there has been outcry from my hoards of readers for more posts about wine. This is something I had intended to do from my blogs inception. Then I started school and now I am inundated with information, and am unsure how to begin to share it.

On Sunday I start teaching a few segments of Wine Affairs Sunday wine school. I'll be kicking it off with Wine Basics in an hour. An overview of grape varieties, styles and proper serving.

My father suggested I post a wine a week from my class tastings. However those wines are expensive, and not necessarily readily available.

So I want to know what you, my audience, wants from me. Recommendations? Reviews? or an education? Do you want to learn more about how to better understand a label, or are you interested in history?

Give me some guidance, and I'll run it with.

3 comments:

  1. How about some reviews? give us your take on the wines you've studied.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't mind reviews of different wines you've tasted, even if they are rare/expensive. Wines are something we usually don't mind spending some money on.

    I also wouldn't mind some education on the differences between wines - a Shiraz versus a Merlot? A Pinot Grigio versus a Riesling? Is it the grape, the region, what sort of wood it's aged in, good knows what else? What can I learn from the smell of the wine, or the color, or the after-taste? Sweetness versus dryness? Maybe, like, wine terms demystified? I know that's a lot...

    I would basically like to drink wine and be able to say something about it other than, "I liked that one" or "I didn't like that one".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Angela!!! Also, I really should've bought some Fancy Gap Virginia wine. I hear it's grown right next to an alpaca farm, so who knows what that does for the grape.

    ReplyDelete